Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Potholder Exchange

Our most recent challenge at the Calgary Modern Quilt Guild was to make a potholder for an exchange.

Being the Type A personality that I am, I couldn't just throw something together.  I spent most of the month looking on the internet for inspiration, coming up with one idea after another, then dismissing them, and panicking as the time ticked by.

Finally I had a brainwave!  I have been saving 2 inch squares as leaders and enders.  AND, I have been interested in making a granny square block (but not interested enough to make a granny square quilt), so why not make a granny square potholder!

So, here's what I came up with:

Turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself!  The square turned out to be 7 inches, which I thought was a bit small, so I added on an extra strip around the outside to make it 8 inches. A layer of thermal plus a layer of regular batting, a quick stitch in the ditch and a machine sewn binding, and it was done in about 3 hours!

We had our guild meeting last week, but we had SO many new members that it was decided to hold the exchange over for one more month, in case the newbies wanted to join in.  So, I haven't received my exchanged potholder yet - I'll report back next month with a photo.

No comments: