Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chugging Along on Freebie Fifteen

I finished a couple more blocks on the Freebie Fifteen quilt.

freebie fifteen 12
freebie 11 companion

I went back to doing the pinwheels with the templates, instead of the cheating, quarter square triangle method.  Those flying geese are 5/8 by 7/8 finished.  At least mine are, but you can see they aren’t all that equal in size.  One complaint I have about this series is that they never tell you what the parts of the blocks are supposed to measure out at.  And the pieces are such odd sizes that it is challenging to figure out yourself.  If I ever design a quilt, I will be sure to put in the size of every portion of every block!

One more block to go.  I haven’t even unfolded the instructions yet, but I can tell it’s a doozie.  Looks like about a million tiny pieces!

This quilt also calls for a many, many hourglass blocks.  I’ve been saving those up, and was working on what will be about 100 of these today, using The Angler 2 taped to my sewing machine.  I put the 4 1/2 inch squares together and was using the Angler to sew 1/4 inch on each side of the diagonal.  After sewing them all, I noticed that I had bumped the Angler at some point, and my seams were off.  Oops!  So, tonight, I’ll be measuring them all, and ripping out the ones that are off.  There is a good movie on tonight (Inglourious Basterds – Brad Pitt!) so that will be a good TV watching job.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I've had to do some serious un-sewing at times. just one of those things. I prefer when i cut too large and then solve by trimming.