Search This Blog

Friday, February 06, 2015

Charity Blocks

I made these a long time ago, but forgot to write about them.

At the Calgary Modern Quilt Guild, we are making charity quilts for bone marrow transplant patients at the local cancer hospital.  We've decided to make blocks, each 15 1/2 inches, so that we can use them to practice our free motion quilting skills.  We've had a couple of good demonstrations by Andrea at Urban Quiltworks.  (Take a look at the quilting on her blog - she is fabulously talented!)

Then, we're going to put them together using the quilt as you go method.

I know you'll be surprised to hear that I had a couple, OK lots of blocks in my UFO piles.  I selected a couple from a BOM I started years ago, and truthfully, will never finish.  I added a little extra fabric to make them 15 1/2 inches, and tried to stretch myself a bit with the quilting.



You can see a bit of the blue marking pen in the centre of this one - I did manage to get that out before I handed it in.  It's the first time I've used that, and it's not as easy as I thought to remove it!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Very nice quilting!

Ioleen said...

Lovely blocks and very nice quilting.

Heather said...

that's a good way to try out machine quilting. you did a good job.