Search This Blog

Saturday, May 19, 2012

You Won't Get the Best of Me!!

Ha ha! she says.

You may remember this post, where I was whining about the difficult block in the Sand and Sea Glass BOM.  If you recall, there was a part of the pattern that looked like this:


The instructions were to cut out all of those tiny little triangles using templates and sew them together.  Twice - there are two units.  (In case you're not totally insane after the first one.)

After much hemming and hawing, and seriously considering ditching the whole thing, I decided to draft myself a paper piecing pattern.

And.......success!!


The entire block is 12 1/2 inches, so you can see how tiny those little triangles really are.  This block took me about 6 hours to complete - not including the drafting time.

Here is a close up:


It's not perfect, but it's done.  Mr. CQT was taking a careful look at it, and said, "Is there supposed to be that overlap there?" - meaning the cut off parts of the triangles.  I snatched it away and replied, "They told me that you non-quilters weren't supposed to notice those things!"

Meanwhile, I had a bit of  a setback working on this month's block.  The instructions said to cut 12 strips 1.3/16 inch wide.  Even with my bifocals, I missed that tiny little dot, and cut them ALL 13/16 inch wide.  And sewed them together.  Then realized that the resulting strip sets were WAY too small.  Oh well - it's only fabric.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Looks perfect to me! What a wonderful block. Great job.

Rosemary said...

SO tiny! I have paper pieced many difficult areas and found it really made things easier. But those triangles are so small!! Great block!

Little House on the Hill said...

Looks great to me. You are a clever lady triangles are beyond me.
Cheers Pauline