Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Craftsy 2013 Block of the Month

2013 Craftsy Block of the Month

I've decided to join in the Craftsy Block of the Month this year.  It is taught by the famous Laura Nownes, co-author of "Quilts Quilts Quilts".  Looking at her picture, above, she must have been 12 when she wrote that book.

In any event, the blocks look interesting - starting with the very basic, but working up to some techniques that I have never done - i.e. Y seams.  One month is tumbling blocks, and another is a Lemoyne star.  I can't believe I haven't ever done either of those, but there you go.  

I'm hoping to make it completely from my stash.  I pulled some fabric last night.


The instructions call for 2 yards of background (I'm using a white) and a whopping 33 quarter yards of various prints.  When looking at the cutting guide, though, some of those quarter yards are used to cut, say, a 7 inch square.  If you're not using 33 different fabrics, I really don't think you need all that much.  At least, I hope not. 

The top fabric is an Amy Butler print that I'm using as a focus fabric.  I've got a metre of that, and plan to put a bit of it in every block.  Then I've got about a metre of the stripey and the dotty fabrics, and smaller amounts of all the others.

Are you doing this Block of the Month?



1 comment:

Julierose said...

Hi Colleen--Your fabrics look great for your BOM. I am not doing any BOM's, quilt-a-longs etc. I don't like deadlines to begin with--so, not for me. I am also a S l o w sewer--right now I am finishing up my last 2012 quilt....Julierose