Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Freebie Fifteen - the Penultimate Blocks

Do you have some words that you just like?  One of mine is "penultimate".  I don't get to use it very often, but when I do, I smile.  OK, I'm strange that way.

I've got 3 more blocks done for the Freebie Fifteen.  Here is the actual freebie block:


I cheated like CRAZY on this block.  I am so tired of these teeny tiny templates.  I have decided that I am not a template girl.  So, I just cut those darker strips and fused them on.  I didn't even stitch around them - I'm planning on having the quilting hold them on.

And here are the other two - these are companion blocks:



Again, I cheated on the pinwheel blocks.  They were supposed to be those narrow pinwheels made with (aargh) templates, but I just quickly did them with half square triangles.  And, I made them by cutting a square and sewing on either side of the diagonal - which is why the pinwheels spin in different directions.

So, then, I went in to get the final blocks and the finishing kit, and the nice woman at the checkout tells me to make sure to keep certain of the fabrics separate, as "You'll need them to make a whole bunch of these pinwheels" - pointing to the dreaded template pinwheels on the wall.  Yikes!  I think I'm going to find another way to finish this quilt.

And to finish this post, a nice picture of the turning leaves in the park behind our house.


3 comments:

Rosemary Dickinson said...

What a ton of work those blocks are! I would have done the same thing. I would have used any short cut method I know! Why aggravate yourself! I can't tell the difference when I look at them. Good for you!

Julierose said...

Holy Sa-moley--templates! I have to agree with you--they are my LEAST favorite way to work. I do have quite a few of them--ahem...STILL in their original packaging languishing in my crawer (once in a while I hear a faint muffled cry:"Use me, use me"--But I pretty much ignore it :--)) I agree with Rosemary--just do what you like best. At any rate, your blocks are turning out lovely. Julierose

MarneyMay said...

Wow your blocks look great. Brave lady like Rosemary said they look like a lot of hard work